Thursday, June 21, 2012

Day 172: The opening night of the SCAR Project at the Dune, DC


I was at the opening night of the SCAR Project, a portrait project of the breast cancer survivors, at the Dune in DC earlier this evening. 

Honestly I am still overwhelmed by the event. I decided to just draw the plan and the location of this venue today. There is really no word or drawing could express what I experienced. 

These ladies are so brave to come out, to post in front of a camera to tell everyone about living with the breast cancer. One of them was diagnosed while finishing her master's degree...and she was just 22. A beautiful girl. Her mom was at the event with her tonight. One was a soldier who just got deployed. One was a disabled...

I had a chance to talk to one of the survivors, Sharon. She is in her late 40's and a mom with 2 kids. She was diagnosed at Stage 3 and the cancer had already spread to the lymph nodes. She kindly told me what she went through and answered all my questions. I also told her that I lost both of my parents to cancer. We agreed to keep in touch. 

I also did a quick chat with the photographer of the project, David Jay. I even asked for his autograph which was so not me but I couldn't help it this time. His next project will be about the wounded soldiers. I look forward to it.

If you are in DC area, the exhibition will be from October 1-7. The gallery to be announced. The 47-minute documentary of this project, "Bare It All," just won the Daytime Emmy award under Outstanding Special Class Special

Viewer discretion is advised.




No comments:

Post a Comment