Saturday, June 16, 2012

Day 168: A Sketch of Lake Anne (on Site)


I was planning to meet up with the Urban Sketcher DC group today at Artomatic in Arlington near Crystal City. Well...after I waited for a while I couldn't find them in the lobby so I decided to go see the art event instead. A little bit disappointed because I would like to know people who share the same interest.

So not to abandon my sketch-on-site will I went to Lake Anne early this evening and drew this there. It's challenging. But I think I start to like it. It's  such a great way to practice sketching and strengthen my confidence in drawing. I can't hide in a studio all the time, can I ?

Let's come back to Artomatic a bit, shall we ? :)

Artomatic exhibited the art from over a thousand artists in a vacant eleven-story office building. Since the office interior design is the core work of my firm I found this a very intriguing use of empty space. The whole building (except 5th and 6th floor that were closed) became an artists' playground. Many walls and carpets were artistically repainted, splashed with colors or even clay. Graffiti, art, pamphlet, announcement were everywhere. I hardly found a blank wall. The existing offices turned into small showrooms. The existing conference rooms became a workshop. The open offices became an open art space or accommodated performance stages with benches or couches.

And this building has gorgeous view of the Potomac River, Regan Airport. So it might be occupied soon.

If you are in DC area and haven't gone there, you have until June 23 to check it out. (I love peep projects! it's my first time seeing the actual work of the peeps.)


No comments:

Post a Comment