Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Day 87: Barcelona Pavilion



Today is Mies van der Rohe's 126th Birthday. He died in 1969. Looking at his work particularly this one reminds me why I love architecture. Why I am willing to spend more than 8 hours a day drawing and designing. Why I can stand the constant changes requested by whoever. Why I keep fine tuning the details until I get them right (even though most of the time I have to stop because I hit the deadline.) Why I have 15 sheets of construction drawings for a 3,500 sq.ft. project (and that's architectural only). Why I like talking to the subcontractors who put things together happen rather than being in the meeting with dozens of people talking about something else than the design. (If you must know, I have never really enjoyed the business and management side of this job.)

Look at the plan and then elevations of this pavilion. It's simply amazing. Less is really more.

No comments:

Post a Comment